Sciatica generally gets better within four to six weeks. Exercising and stretching, however, can aid in the healing process as well as reduce pain. Some of the best and time-tested exercises to relieve sciatica pain and reduce inflammation are discussed below.
1Knee to chest
The following steps are involved in this movement:
- Lie on your back with your knees bent and your feet flat on the floor.
- Keep one leg on the floor, and bring one knee to the chest.
- For up to 30 seconds, or however long is comfortable, hold the knee to the chest.
- Slowly release the leg and repeat with the other leg.
- Perform 3 repetitions on each leg.
Yoga practitioners may already be familiar with this movement:
- Stretch your legs out straight on the floor with your feet together.
- Put the right ankle across the left knee by bending the right leg.
- The upper body should come down gently toward the thigh as you lean forward at the hips.
- To increase the stretch, bend the left leg in with your hands behind your thigh if possible without discomfort.
- The stretch should be held for 10-20 seconds, depending on your comfort level.
- Release the hold slowly and repeat the stretch on the other side.