Heart is one of the most important and complicated organs in the body. The conditions affecting the heart include various diseases that can be further classified according to the part of the heart involved. These include;
- Problems with the heart rhythms (arrhythmias)
- Diseases of the heart blood vessels, such as coronary artery disease
- Congenital heart defects (abnormalities of the heart structure by birth)
- Diseases affecting the myocardium (muscles of the heart)
- Heart valve disease
- Various types of heart infections
1Symptoms Of Heart Disease
The symptoms of heart disease vary from condition to condition and depend on the type of heart disease you have.
Symptoms Of Heart Blood Vessels
Atherosclerosis is a common condition that affects the heart blood vessels. It is characterized as the buildup of fatty plaques in your arteries that causes narrowing of the blood vessels and can damage your heart. More advanced stages of this disease can lead to chest pain (angina), heart attack, or stroke.
The symptoms of coronary artery disease are different for men and women. Men are more prone to develop moderate to severe chest pain, while women tend to have more chest discomfort, along with other signs and symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, shortness of breath, and fatigue. The most common signs and symptoms of coronary heart disease include;
- Mild to severe pain in the chest, chest tightness (heaviness), and angina (chest discomfort)
- Shortness of breath and difficulty breathing
- Pain that radiates to the neck and jaw. Sometimes also to left arm, back, and upper abdomen
- Peripheral signs include pain, numbness, and weakness in the arm and legs
Most of the people with coronary heart disease might not be diagnosed until they have reached a more advanced stage that either causes a heart attack, stroke or heart failure. The only way to get early diagnosis is regular cardiovascular checkup by a health professional.